Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Waffles. They're not just for Breakfast.

My children love Waffles. They love them, because I make them. I don't make them love them, I make the waffles, and it's eat or don't eat.... Well, anyway, you get the picture.

So one night, after much grumbling about not wanting anything I suggested I make for dinner, I threw my hands in the air and said, "I'm making waffles!"

And so, I did. These ones. And I served them with Hot Chocolate.

To make them extra tasty, they should be served BEFORE the canned whipped cream melts,and the snowman starts sweating chocolate. The recipe is simple:


1 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. each salt and baking soda


Mix thoroughly.
Add:
1 c. milk
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 T melted butter or vegetable oil - whichever you want. I use the oil because it's faster.


Combine that well, then add 1 beaten egg.


Pour batter onto hot waffle iron, wait for the beep, take it out, put some canned cherry pie filling on top, squirt some whipped cream, and drizzle with Hershey's Chocolate Syrup. The kind you make into Chocolate Milk.


If you want these to be exactly the way I made them, have your husband surprise you with a professional waffle iron like they have in hotels - because he just "brought it home from work - the people didn't want it anymore."




For the Hot Chocolate - it's a homemade mix courtesy of Dadola.


8 c. powdered milk. I use Morning Moos brand - it's tasty, and mixes well.
3 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. cocoa powder (you can add 2 c. if you want more of a dark chocolate type)
1 c. non-dairy creamer - I usually use french vanilla flavored, but plain is fine
1 large package chocolate pudding (you can substitute vanilla if you want).


Mix all that thoroughly and store in an airtight container. To make, mix 2-3 T powder with 8 oz. hot water. I add whipped cream and drizzle chocolate over the top. To add some fun, sprinkle cake sprinkles on the top. Any flavor is fine. 


The snowman mugs came in a set of four from Williams Sonoma YEARS ago, I haven't seen them since. I'm still looking though...


Enjoy this anytime you need to gain a few extra pounds. Or for any special occasion. The children dubbed this one, "THE BEST DINNER...EVER!"


 - Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool! More foodie types. Give us feedback! (Get it? "Feed" back :)